+1 tag for Google Plus

Friday 22 June 2012

Multiple Channels of MIDI Input Controlling a Single Instance of a Virtual Instrument in FL Studio

The title of this post is really long, because I don't know how better to describe this :)

I have been trying to find out how to harness the multi-channel feature of many of my virtual instruments. Some of these are YellowTools Independence Free, Native Instruments Kontakt 5, EastWest Complete Composers Collection Quantum Leap products, and lastly the newest addition to my virtual instruments library, the Miroslav Philharmonik Classik Edition.


Multiple Channels of MIDI Input Controlling a Single Instance of a Virtual Instrument in FL Studio from Patrick Woo on Vimeo.

Click here to view this same video on YouTube.com


Not being able to access individual channels of a multi-channel midi instrument (physical/virtual) is one of the greatest reasons why I went back to making my music in Cakewalk Sonar for a while. Knowing how to separately control signal flow is crucial to me (MIDI/audio). I feel helpless if I do not know how to use this multi-channel feature. To me this is the most basic feature in a sequencing software. The other big thing against the workflow in FL Studio for me, was the fact that I still do not know how to drop into an audio record mode inside FL Studio. I found that I always have to start recording the audio tracks at the beginning of the song. Sorry for digressing, this topic is better kept for another day.

Finding out how to do this has boosted my confidence to continue to work with FL Studio. Having mentioned all the drawbacks of FL Studio (mostly due to my incompetency), I am obliged to mention a very strong area of this application. FL Studio really feels more solid and stable in terms of interaction and resource optimisation. The latency I get from FL Studio is generally quite fantastic. I can never get the same almost-lag-free experience with my virtual instruments in Sonar. Also, I feel FL Studio gives a more solid timing sync to the music (again this is probably because of the superior latency optimisation in FL Studio).

No comments:

Post a Comment